· BA: University of Wisconsin in Geography 1972
· MA: University of Minnesota in Geography/Political Science 1974
· Ph.D.: University of Minnesota in Geography/International Studies 1980
· World Regional Geography and Anthropology
· Geography of Europe
· Global Economy, Development and the Third World
· Geographic Education 9-12
· Political Science
· Global-Political Issues in a Multicultural World
· Ideology and Government
· American Government
· Social Science
· Capstone Course
· While students are encouraged to take advantage of our e-mail system and class Discussion Board in Blackboard to have questions answered, office hours are generally from 9-10 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Other hours are available, please consult.
Activities & Associations
· Leader-Facilitator for Grades 9-12 Group writing the assessment rubrics for the North Dakota Social Studies Standards
· North Dakota Geographic Alliance (Steering Committee, edits Dakota Alliance newsletter) and maintains the NDGA Web Site
· Phillips Neighborhood Geographic Society
· Association of North Dakota Geographers (edits the Bulletin of the ANDG)
· Bibliography: work by Dr. Paul D. Meartz
· Geographic and Political Writing is a directory of articles on the web by Dr. Paul Meartz
Research & Grants
· Media use of place. "My main research effort is focused upon exposure of how the media, especially television, uses place information in the development of characters and plots. Given the high levels of time Americans spend with television and other media, the nature of the images presented is seen as having an important impact on what people know about places."
· Geography of Women in North Dakota. "A current focus in my work is to develop a clear view of the spatial patterns behind women's issues in North Dakota. The changing social and economic picture in the state must be creating dynamic impacts on women and their world.".
· Political Culture. "My political research is focused upon the nature of political culture, especially as it impacts state politics. Of particular interest is the east versus west political division in North Dakota, and its cultural basis."
· Grant from North Dakota Geographic Alliance to produce an online geography education course for fall of 2000 
· Participant in grant funded process to write assessment rubrics for the North Dakota State Social Studies Standards [2000-2002]
Let me tell you about myself and my work in Real Video.
Dr. Meartz maintains a page of quality geographic, political, and other links for his students to use. They can be accessed by clicking on the GPO icon. His course outlines also contain valuable links in specialized areas.