Are the symptoms the same for H1N1 and seasonal flu?
Yes. Typical symptoms of both are:
· Fever of 100 degrees or higher
· Sore Throat
· Body Aches
· Do not attend classes or other campus activities until you are symptom free for 24 hrs.
· Drink plenty of water to help your fever and to keep you from getting dehydrated.
· Take an over the counter pain reliever as directed.
· Gargle with warm salt water; this also soothes the throat.
· Suck on a hard piece of candy or lozenge to keep your throat from drying out.
· Have a hot broth based soup; this helps thin the mucus and feels good on the throat.
Again, if you have the flu, stay home, rest and drink fluids.
When should I see a doctor if I have the flu?
· Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
· Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
· Sudden dizziness
· Severe or persistent vomiting that does not go away
· Flu-like symptoms that improve but then come back with a fever or worsening cough
How do I know if I have mono?
· High fever
· Severe sore throat
· Swollen lymph glands in the neck
· Weakness and fatigue
· Pain in the upper left abdominal area (Your spleen is here and is usually swollen/tender when you have an active case. Usually starts 4-6 weeks after you are exposed to the virus
When you get over mono, the symptoms are gone.)
· Rest is the mainstay of treatment.
· Avoid heavy lifting and contact sports because of the risk of rupturing the spleen
· Gargle with salt water or use throat lozenges to sooth your throat
· Take Tylenol or Motrin to reduce fever, sore throat, and headaches
· If you choose to go to a clinic, ask for a mono spot for diagnosis
What is the Tobacco Policy?
How do I quit smoking/chewing?
· For free, private phone counseling support: Quitline at 1-866-388-7848
Where can I get tested for a sexually transmitted disease?
· Sanford Helath – Mayville
· Telephone number: 788-4500
Out of town:
· Valley Health in Grand Forks
· 1551 28th Ave. South
There is a sliding fee based on your income or lack thereof.
First Choice Clinic – Fargo
1351 Page Dr. Suite 205
Fargo Cass Public Health
401 Third Ave N