Limited tutoring service is free and available to students who seek assistance in learning material for their courses. The tutors are upper-class students who have been recommended by faculty as experts in specific subject matter. For more information on tutoring services, contact Erin Kunz, Coordinator of the Academic Support Center, 800-437-4104, Extension: 35240 or email Erin.Kunz@mayvillestate.edu.
Peer tutors are available in a variety of courses during study sessions and by appointment. Peer tutoring focuses on helping students develop the problem-solving and analytical skills needed to understand, synthesize or apply complex material.
The Tutor List will change from semester to semester. Check your class Moodle to see the tutor for your class, or pick up a Tutor List in the Academic Support Center in CB 109. Find the most recent list here.
Online tutoring is new to MSU! There are several ways tutors and students can connect online:
• Blackboard IM: An instant messenger program available for student and teacher use. The advantages to this program:
• You’re automatically populated into your classes with your peers, instructors and tutors.
• Communication is possible via text, audio, video or whiteboard.
• The whiteboard feature allows for sharing of graphics and is flexible enough to use for math, chemistry or English as examples.
• Work on the whiteboard may be saved as a graphic image (jpg, pdf).
• It is possible to share desktops with another person(s) to work on a common problem.
• Wimba Classroom: This is a way your teacher may hold virtual class from time to time. It has all the advantages of Wimba Pronto but the audio/visual may be saved by the instructor for later viewing. Pronto Overview Tutorial
• Moodle Chat Rooms: Your instructor may have a chatroom set up for your class. If not, you may make arrangements with the tutor (or others in your class) to meet in Academic Support’s Moodle Chatroom.
• The Forums on your Moodle classroom page. Your tutors are able to access the forums.
• Send a message via the Moodle Participants link on your class site.
• Email: click on the tutor’s name to get a direct link to their email.
• Instant Messenger Programs such as Windows Live or Yahoo have text, audio, visual and even some whiteboard capabilities.
• Skype: Add the Student Success Center as a contact – msu.academic.support
For additional information, contact Erin Kunz at 701-788-5240 or firstname.lastname@example.org.